Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is almost at the end  of his four-year mandate.And as Canadians get set to head to the polls, there are lots of unanswered questions about how this election will go.Dave is joined by National Post political columnist John Ivison.

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgzoom Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Taiwanese ocean carrier Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation will follow in the footsteps of industry majors such as Maersk by choosing low sulphur fuel to comply with the upcoming 2020 sulphur cap.The International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) regulation, set to enter into force in 2020, has had owners perplexed amid growing pressure from the market to pick the less painful road to compliance.Namely, as of January 1, 2020, ships will be banned from burning any marine fuel with a sulphur content above 0.5 pct. The exception will be ships fitted with scrubbers.Aside to LSFO and scrubbers owners can opt for marine gas oil (MGO) or other alternative fuels, such as LNG, hydrogen and methanol.“The use of low-sulfur fuel is the intended solution for now, but we can’t rule out other options like scrubber installation and LNG related infrastructure,” Yang Ming Marine Transport Corporation confirmed to World Maritime News in a statement.The decision is being announced as Yang Ming seeks to renew its fleet with 20 newbuilding boxships. These include ten 2,800 TEU containerships to be ordered by Yang Ming and ten 11,000 TEU newbuilds chartered from Costamare and Shoei Kisen.The new ships will replace the vessels which are about to be off-hired or retired in the next 2 to 3 years.Separately, THE Alliance, which aside to Yang Ming includes Hapag-Lloyd and Japanese merged container lines under the Ocean Network Express (ONE) brand as its members, announced they were pulling one transpacific loop from their Trans Pacific – West Coast products.“The update of THE Alliance product will feature total six services in Asia/North America West Coast. The PS5 and PS8 services will conjugate into one combined service and cater for customers connecting the key ports of North China, Central China and North America gate ports,” a statement from the liner alliance said.The move is being announced on the back of a brewing trade war between the US and China.World Maritime News Stafflast_img

first_imgThe Canadian PressNote to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly located the incident in northeastern B.C. It has been changed to northern B.C. DEASE LAKE, B.C. — RCMP in northern British Columbia are searching for two young Vancouver Island men whose vehicle was discovered on fire Friday in the same area where police say a body was found.Police said in a release Sunday night that officers investigating a vehicle fire on Highway 37 about 50 kilometres south of Dease Lake, B.C., received information that led them to discover a body at a highway pullout about two kilometres from the scene of the fire.They said the burned vehicle belonged to 19-year-old Kam McLeod and 18-year-old Bryer Schmegelsky, both of Port Alberni, B.C.According to police, the two were travelling through B.C. to Whitehorse in the Yukon to look for work and haven’t been in contact with their families for the past few days.They were last seen in Dease Lake on Thursday travelling in a red and grey Dodge pickup truck with a sleeping camper.Police said they were still working to identify the male body that was found, determine the cause of death, and whether there was any connection with the two missing men.Dease Lake is about 470 kilometres away from where 23-year-old Australian Lucas Fowler and his 24-year-old American girlfriend Chynna Deese were found murdered earlier in the week along the Alaska Highway near Liard Hot Springs.Police acknowledge in their Sunday release that “there are growing community concerns about the ongoing homicide investigations in northern B.C.”They add that investigators “are sharing information” about the cases, but don’t say whether any connection between the two has yet been made.last_img

first_imgBy Jorge Barrera APTN National NewsAn Indian residential school survivor has issued a challenge to Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt to review archival files that prove the government of Canada deliberately destroyed residential school documents.Valcourt denied the Canadian government ever destroyed residential school documents last Thursday during a House of Commons committee of the whole appearance.“If he wants, we can send him documentation on the department’s own, old letterhead verifying that it was factual and it was done,” said Michael Cachagee, who was four and-a-half years old when he was taken to residential school. “I challenge him on that publicly. We will send it to him just to refresh his memory.”Valcourt’s office did not return requests for comment on Cachagee’s offer.Valcourt faced questions during his committee of the whole appearance from NDP MP Romeo Saganash, who attended residential school and had a brother die at one of the institutions.“Have historical files pertinent to the Indian residential school system been destroyed by the government of Canada?” said Saganash, who also pressed the minister on whether any destruction occurred to avoid lawsuits.“To my knowledge, no,” said Valcourt. “I was not around in the 1940s, or the 1930s, or the 1920s. To my knowledge, no documents were deliberately destroyed simply to have them destroyed.”The archival record, however, counters that. While no proof exists that documents were ever destroyed over lawsuit concerns, files were pulped as a result of three major rounds of government-wide document purging directives issued between 1936 and 1973.Indian Affairs included residential school diaries, medical reports, building inspections, accident reports along with admission and discharge files among the lists of records it submitted for destruction.According to an internal analysis by Aboriginal Affairs previously obtained by APTN National News, Ottawa maintains no documents were ever deliberately destroyed. It was stated in the internal analysis that the federal government holds this position because of concerns an admission that documents were deliberately destroyed could expose the government to legal action. Ottawa maintains that fires and floods at the school destroyed records.Valcourt’s office has downplayed the analysis, saying it was done by a junior bureaucrat and did not reflect the government’s “view.” The minister’s office has never detailed the prevailing view.Indian residential school records are a key component for former residential school survivors to obtain common experience payments under the multi-billion dollar residential school settlement agreement.While the department maintains that no one who attended the schools have ever been denied a claim as a result of missing records, over 50,000 applicants have received less than they requested because they failed to prove they attended residential schools for the number of years they claimed.Cachagee, who suffered sexual and physical abuse during his time at three residential schools, said he lost a year’s worth of compensation as a result of missing records.“This whole thing is a fraud and it’s just an extension and all they do is they use the shelter of the House of Commons to lie about it,” said Cachagee, who used to head the National Residential School Survivors Society.NDP Aboriginal affairs critic Jean Crowder said Valcourt needs to come clean about what his department is telling him about the issue.“If the minister is truly not aware that documents were not destroyed, which would seem unbelievable, then he is either incredibly incompetent or he is misleading the public,” said Crowder. “If his high level bureaucrats are briefing him on something that is counter to what is in the public domain then he doesn’t have control of his department.”jbarera@aptn.ca@JorgeBarreralast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *